Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Soul-Lag

In his book "Pattern Recognition," William Gibson (my favourite author, FYI) puts forth an interesting theory about jet-lag. The idea is that the soul cannot travel as fast as the body, and so that feeling of disconnect is the body waiting for the soul to make it to the destination--thus, the further the distance, the worse the lag.

This morning I thought my soul had finally caught up. I woke a bit earlier than usual, but I was feeling much more coherent than yesterday, which was a total wash.

But around 6:30pm I ran face first into a wall of exhaustion that was nearly insurmountable. I've held on for a few hours, but my bed--with clean sheets and brand new fluffy feather pillows--is very loudly calling my name. Is 9:30 too early to go to bed?

Tomorrow I return to both work and school. I have a huge project at work (The Mailing From Hell) that I need to start churning out immediately, as well as a 200 page book to finish reading before Saturday, two others to peruse, a paper to write for the Uganda course, financial aid paperwork to file, and a joint birthday party to plan.

I hope my soul catches up soon. Methinks I'm going to need it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, jet-lag. I like your term for it, but I hate the feeling. I hope your soul catches up to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow. So busy after so little recoup time. I'm sorry girlie. (Good luck, methink you'll be needing that too. ;-) )

ANA said...

That's an interesting theory.
Ah jet lag, makes you feel so disoriented...I get through it by sipping on coffee and red bulls.

Jess said...

That is an interesting theory. I ran into hardcore jet lag after I got back from Germany in November, the worst I've ever had. I hope your soul catches up soon too.