Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Little Lessons

I haven't officially begun training for Avon (psssst! Have you donated yet? You totally should! All the cool kids are doing it! Here, check it out!), but since the weather has been fine, and my fat ass* needs to lose some weight, I went on a 2 hour walk both yesterday and today. Yesterday I tackled Fort Tryon Park (even more beautiful now that everything is green!) and Inwood Hill Park (only natural forest left in Manhattan!), and today I walked from 52nd St & Lex to 125th & St. Nicholas via a very circuitous route through Central Park.

Here are a few things I learned along the way.

1. There is NO easy way up the hill into Fort Tryon Park.

2. Even if there was, it would NOT be the stairs.

3. Inwood Hill Park is very aptly named.

4. Black Squirrels! Who knew?

5. Central Park is, in fact, even bigger than it looks on the map.

6. That being said, walking from South-East to North-West corner, it takes about an hour and a half to get across, but you could easily spend a day there and not see everything.

7. If you're walking on the gravel paths in CP, the gravel WILL get into your shoes.

8. The Rambles are paved. Boo.

9. Groundhogs! In Manhattan! Who knew?

10. Googling "fragrant purple flowers" will not help you figure out what those amazing flowers in the Heather Garden are.**

11. It is possible to be out and about in Manhattan and not see another human being for over an hour.

12. If you get deep enough into Inwood Hill Park, you can't hear the cars anymore.

13. When 10 and 11 happen simultaneously, you may or may not start imagining Axe Murderers lurking in the underbrush. I blame over-exposure to Law and Order.


________________
* Before you all go postal on me, yes, yes, I am aware that my definition of "fat ass" probably varies greatly from some of your definitions... which doesn't change the fact that I've eaten nothing but crap for the last month and my waistline has suffered accordingly. So nyeh.

** I'll give a dollar, or maybe just a cool web badge, to anyone who can re-write that sentence without the dangling preposition and NOT sound like a pompous ass. I tried. It's not easy.

4 comments:

wegrit said...

In response to number 10: Googling "fragrant purple flowers" will not help you figure out the name of those amazing flowers in the Heather Garden.

Done and done. You may now get on with sending my prize!

(Just because the sentence doesn't sound pompous doesn't mean I can't do that on my own later!)

Erin said...

Or or or ...

Googling "fragrant purple flowers" will not help you identify those amazing flowers in the Heather Garden.

Or does "identify" sound too pompous?

K said...

"Googling "fragrant purple flowers" will not help you figure out what those amazing flowers in the Heather Garden are."

There is no dangling preposition; the sentence is grammatically correct as written.

the frog princess said...

I beg to differ. "Are" is one of those prepositions that does not fit the "The Arrow Went ______ The Wagon" motif. The others are...

Be Being Been Am Is ARE Was Were Has Have Had Shall Will Should Would Does Do Did Must May Might Can Could

Yes. I am a big ol' grammar nerd.