Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It's a good thing I bought a new digital camera today...

Because this is what I came home to:




Note the decided lack of such amenities as a toilet. And a floor.

Actually, that's a lie. The toilet is still here...




As is the sink.




And this. No, I don't know what it is either.




So it would seem that, despite working for nearly 12 hours today, the plumber was unable to fulfill his promise that I would have a functional toilet this evening.

The landlords have been nice enough to leave their apartment door unlocked so that I can use their bathroom, but a.) it's down 2 flights of stairs, and b.) I really don't need my landlords knowing that I am a freak of nature to who has to pee, like, every 20 minutes.

The plumber has promised that the work will be finished tomorrow. That doesn't mean my wall and floor will be intact, but I will at least have functional plumbing.

Baby steps.

The landlady says that they'll be hiring a contractor to come in and repair the walls and floor, as that is beyond her and her husband's capabilities (as if the easily deconstructed plywood walls in the hallway were not indication enough of their limited construction skills).

So I am hoping that the silver lining to all of this will be that, in addition to a functional drain in my tub, I might get some decent tiles to replace the shitty linoleum currently in residence on what remains of my bathrom floor.

...

In other news, my first night of class went well, and I am moderately less panicked than before. Granted, we just met with our subject librarian and learned about the myriad of research resources available to us--and DAMN! the NYU library is freaking HUGE!!--but all in all I'm thinking maybe I'll survive this whole grad school thing after all.

Phew.


Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the bathroom.

No comments: