Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks

Oh how I wish I could bottle smell and broadcast it over the internet, because my house right now? Smells soooooo good! My stomach is doing the cha-cha in anticipation of the decadence to come... Mmmmm....

So Happy Thanksgiving to the American readers! May your day be filled with turkey and love (or Tofurky for any vegetarians, though personally I find bean curd masquerading as meat to be bordering on sacrilege). I could write a lengthy post about the many things for which I am thankful, but I will spare you. I'm sure with NaBloPoMo'ers running out of things to write about (or being in a tryptophan-induced coma) there will be many lists of such nature for you to peruse.

And also, while this is one of my favourite holidays, I feel like some people use Thanksgiving as a cop-out. Much like Valentine's Day (which, yes, I loathe) is treated as "the one day a year to do nice things for the person you love/like/pine-for," I think some people treat Thanksgiving as "the one day a year to actually show gratitude."

Me? I'm grateful every day for the gifts life has given me. I am grateful for my health, my education, the wonderful people who have come in and out of my life over the years, and I am especially grateful when the subway actually arrives on time. Even when I'm grumpy and depressed, in the back of my mind I am always aware of just how very lucky I am.

*puts away soapbox*

And Thanksgiving, let's be honest, is so all about the turkey.

And gravy.

And stuffing.

Oh my...

3 comments:

Princess Pointful said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
And amen about the gratitude.
How I wish I had some excuse for gravy at the moment...

Lisa said...

I hope you dug in. I hate turkeys. ("Take that! And that!") Happy Thanksgiving!

Princess Pointful said...

PS. Now you've been tagged!!