Since insomnia is doing its best to devour my soul these days, I thought I would postpone the tossing and turning for a few more minutes by sharing my thoughts about tonight's Emmy broadcast, in the order that I scribbled two-word reminders on the pad of post-it notes next to the couch...
- Josh Groban is adorable, and his Cartman impression isn't half bad, but he should never, ever, EVER be allowed to rap again. And why did they show the Cheers sign and not sing the song? It's only, like, the most iconic TV Theme song of my childhood!
- David Boreanaz looks really bored. Perhaps he's just pissed off that he has to share the stage with Lauren Conrad.
- Martin Sheen's "Go Out And Vote!" speech has to be the least annoying one I've ever heard. Thanks West Wing!
- What the fuck is "Bernard and Doris"? It was nominated for all these awards, Susan Sarandon looked hot, and still I've never heard of it...
- Loved the tribute to "Dragnet"! I used to watch it on Nick At Nite all the time when I was a kid. You know, before Nick At Nite started showing the shows that were on primetime when I was a kid. Right. But with all the other shows, they panned down to actual actors who were on the show... so why'd we get stuck with the dudes from CSI?
- Oh... wait... I just checked IMDb. They're all dead. I guess that explains it.
- Ohmygod I LOVE Don Rickles... and Kathy Griffin for ordering the audience to stand up. But not for anything else she's done. Just to clarify. Except maybe "Suddenly Susan."
- When did they make a mini series out of "Andromeda Strain," and why did I not watch it?
- Ohmygod I really REALLY LOVE DON RICKLES. Best acceptance speech ever. Except perhaps for Tommy Smothers, but I forgot to write a note about him, so unfortunately he gets left out--though I used to watch his show on Nick At Nite too.
- Glenn Close looks damned good for her age.
- YAY! Malcolm's Dad won an Emmy! For some show I've never heard of! Go Malcolm's Dad!
- I can't believe they finally created an Emmy for Reality TV Host and didn't give it to Ryan Seacrest. He's probably at home plotting the murder of that guy from "Survivor" as we speak.
- I was about to say that Mary Tyler Moore is also looking fabulous... then I saw her arms. They are terrifying. It also makes me wonder how many pounds of make-up were airbrushed onto her face.
- Betty White's red pant-suit on the other hand? Ah-freaking-mazing! She looks like she just stepped off of the set of a Golden Girls Reunion Show. Except there would be no Estelle. Oh, Estelle... :(
- Is that blonde from Mad Men wearing underwear as outerwear? Why yes... yes she is. Someone get that woman a jacket.
That's it for my hastily scrawled notes. I was so glad to see Tina Fey up there so many times tonight, and her acceptance speech is also high on my list. And why wasn't Goldie Hawn up there with the other folks from Laugh In? (Another staple from the Nick At Nite of yore).
Finally, a big A+ for technology! I love watching Award Shows on the DVR (I paused in the middle for half an hour to go make food), because in addition to skipping the commercials, you can also fast-forward through the acceptance speeches for the boring people thanking a bunch of other people we've never heard of. Phew!
So, what were your highlights/lowlights/time-to-go-get-a-drink-of-water-lights?