Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cheers, etc.


Hello darlings, greetings from the Western Hemisphere where it is currently 8:14 in the morning and I am probably going to be late for breakfast because I am up here in my room, blogging.

That's okay really, I'm just operating on "Ugandan Time" where 8:30 can mean anywhere from 8:30 to 10:30. Though the bus to class leaves at 10:00, so perhaps "semi-Ugandan Time" would be a wiser choice.

Thanks so much to my two guest bloggers thus far! Deutlich, that was more than I knew about Uganda before I came here! (Though I was, in fact, aware that it was in Africa ;) ). Princess, you are so sweet! I tried to claim my award from your blog, but I've got my browser set to not load pictures because the net is so creepy-crawly here. I'll have to retrieve it when I'm state-side.


So far my experience here has been amazing. The people of this country--at least those we've been interacting with--are incredible. Not to mention beautiful! Seriously, I thought our professor was kidding when she told us, but I've honestly never seen so many good looking people in the same place!

There is so much sensory input every day, I have a feeling I'll be processing this whole experience for months to come.

Your homework for today is to look up Maribou Storks. See them? See how freaking HUGE they are? They are *everywhere*. I have yet to capture a decent picture, but these enormous, pterodactyl-like birds are as common as pigeons--but would cause quite the stir if they were to touch down in Central Park.

And I think one peed on us during lunch the other day. That's a sign of good luck, right? Right?

Right. I really must get ready for breakfast now. After class today we're heading over to the apartment of one of our Ugandan counterparts, who not only is acting as our photographer, but also makes jewelry and masks. In other words, it's shopping time!

I shall leave you with a photo (if it actually uploads) of the building where we've been having class every morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiiii! I hope you're having a great time!

Also. Let me know when you'd like me to guest for you.

B said...

Just checked out the storks and WOAH those things are HUGE.

Jess said...

Ugandan time sounds a lot like Senegalese time. I remember when I lived in Senegal that nothing ever happened when they said it would, until you learned how to interpret what they said. Then it all made sense.

ANA said...

Wow, lucky you - I have been SQUEEEing for you for days now, it's getting old, must stop.
SQUEEE one last time.
I'm sure you are having a great time, keep us posted.

Princess Pointful said...

Gah! I am so behind (and oh so very jealous, BTW) on my Froggie adventures... my much lamer adventures have been keeping me busy.

I'm so glad to hear you are having such a good time! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories.

Oh, and Marabou Storks are disgusting. They were actually in my ugly animal pageant!

Stephanie said...

Pterodactyl?! Cool! Pictures of you with one would be super! Glad to hear all is well.